Thank you, Ray for straightening this out so accurately. I had thrown up my hands at any attempt to clear the air on this one, but you have done so admirably. My one quibble:

Before valves, in Germany a low F trombone was a "bass trombone" and was similar bore size to today's large bore tenor. It was a rare instrument, much more common was a Bb "bass" with no valve.

Trombones in those days were almost always were almost always scored in threes, designated alto, tenor, bass. They were in Eb, Bb, and F respectively (lowest note of the bass routinely given as C below the bass staff). These are the exact same sizes in wh. they had been manufactured since the 16th c.

I cannot imagine what a (valveless) Bb bass trombone would be, nor how it could play the low notes Eb, D, Db, or C.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/