John Hughes wrote:
Has anybody had any experience with the Virtual Sound Canvas?

My problem is that I have just received a new computer from Dell and was surprised to see that there was no way I could transfer any of my existing sound cards into it. The slots did not match a midi sound card.

I thought something external like the Roland Sound Canvas might solve my problem, but when I tried their web page all they had was the Virtual Sound Canvas. A software application.

If anyone has had any experience with this application, I would dearly like to know if it works as well as a real midi sound card.

Mant thanks in advance.

The Virtual Sound Canvas ships free with Band-in-a-Box, and it comes in two different versions.

There is the stand-alone version, which has some latency issues, and there is a DXi version, which won't work without a DXi host. finale is not a DXi host, so you need to find one (I believe there are some free ones but I can't name any) and run it and a virtual midi interface such as midi-yoke. You would select one of the midi-yoke midi-out ports in Finale and then select the same number midi-yoke midi-in port in the DXi host program and the midi data from Finale playbace will run through the DXi host program.

I have seen this module, the Ketron SD2 at http://www.ketronus.com/product_detail.php?id=53 and listened to the demos at http://www.ketronus.com/demos.php and it sounds pretty good.

You will also need to buy a USB/midi interface, but M-Audio sells the MidiSport Uno model for around $45 which should work.

Of course, once you get a midi interface, you can use any module, and since external modules tend to need electrical power, there are many more things to choose from, such as the Kurzweil PC2r (with orchestral ROM installed - I don't think it's available without that option so you should be all set) which will sound a whole lot better.

But there are many find soft synths which might run just find on your new computer, and there are soundcards which should fit. Garritan, makers of GPO, is fine, although buying all the samples necessary for any situation can be expensive.

You might do well to contact Dell and discuss the soundcard issue with them.

My advice is not to waste your money on the Virtual Sound Canvas -- there are many more options than you've mentioned, and lots better things to choose from.

--
David H. Bailey