On Jul 3, 2007, at 3:07 PM, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

Harbie voices F# on E-7(b5). F# doesn't exist on E Locrian. That's why
it sounds so cool, but one of a famous jazz schools started to call it
"Super Locrian".  I have a problem with that, big time.

Are you sure that it is the locrian nat2 scale that is called Superlocrian? I always thought that was another name for the altered scale. In other words, the E locrian with an F# , but starting on F#, would be F# superlocrian, playable over an F# altered dominant chord. What school uses Superlocrian for the locrian nat2 scale?

If you play E Locrian scale with F# instead of F, you should immediately
hear it is a C Mixo (#11) scale.  To me, it is more logical to call a
chord name with derived chord scale, which is important for improviser
in improvisational music context.  Do you not think?

I like to know what the parent scale is, too, but I think most improvisors want to know the scale starting from the bass note. So they would probably prefer to say E locrian nat2 (describing it as an altered locrian scale) rather than Cmixo(#11) over E bass. I know you cats over at New England Conservatory see things a little differently...

Christopher