Christopher Smith / 2007/07/03 / 02:06 AM wrote:

>Then you WOULD call a C triad C5? And C2 would not have a G in it?
>I'm sorry, but both these assertions are contrary to what most chord-
>symbol reading musicians would agree with.

Oh you totally misunderstood me.  I said num val is the cut off point,
and forgot to say "when applied" :-)
C triad doesn't have num val notation, and is out side of this debate.
And yes, C2 means C and D only.  If you want C-D-G, it's a G sus4 on C.

>(chuckle!) You don't believe in a Cadd4 chord? That is, C,E,F,G, with
>no 7th?

I certainly do not deny any chord.  My objection is what to call it.  C-
E-F-G is a FMaj9(Omit 3) chord, because when you play it, F is what you
hear as the gravity center.  As soon as you destroy E with added F, you
no longer hear C as the gravity center.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>