Thanks for explaining that, Chris - I was thinking the problems were as a result of non-matching midi channels, not so much non-matching staff names.

I had tried to merge a couple of single part files that had been already been extracted from larger scores and the merge function balked (actually it said "special part extraction is turned on on one of the files." - I don't recall seeing special part extraction in years and couldn't find it to turn it off, so I assumed the problem was the the parts had been extracted from larger files. Any ideas on that one? I suppose staff names might be a consideration there, also.

RBH