At 06:42 AM 8/8/2007, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
>But can one not expect a newbie to subscribe and do a search of the
>archives using relevant keywords, or is this yet another way in which I
>do not conform to the normal expectations?

The archives of this list are not directly searchable.

If you go to the link at the bottom of this email, you'll see that the archives can be downloaded as large text files, one for each month. Now, sometimes I remember a discussion that took place a month or two ago, and I don't mind grabbing a couple of those files and searching, but it's not reasonable to expect a newbie to download and search *all* of them.

You can sometimes have some luck searching in Google, because at various times one or more "subscribers" to this list have really been mail archiving services, which has the effect of making those parts of the archive publicly searchable.

There is software which can be run along with Mailman (the software which powers this list) which can give normally searchable archives. At times in the past, this issue has been raised with list owner Henry Howey, to see what he can do with the powers that be at SHSU, but nothing has ever come of it.

Aaron.