On Aug 24, 2007, at 6:32 AM, shirling & neueweise wrote:

i had just applied some doc options, hit ok and auto-save kicked in to save a new (untitled) file and it seems to be hanging now, but not crashed. clicking anywhere in the window does nothing, i can still switch apps and come back to it, and can even move the window, but i can't get out of the window (cancel with mouse or keyboard) or save or name the file.

from the finder, i pulled up the force quit window and everything seems fine with F05.

autosave still works, and it saved the file 2min before it sort of hung so there is no loss, but what would cause this and is there a way out without force quitting?

It sounds like a garden-variety program crash. Hangs and crashes are pretty much the same thing; it makes the program stop working. I'm amazed that a power user like yourself doesn't see them more often, although you ARE using the relatively stable 2005 version. 2006 is OK, too, but 2007-2008 are quite unstable. I get that kind of thing all the time nowadays.

Hiro mentioned that often if he gets the spinning beach ball, just getting up and walking away to let the computer sort things out itself often works. It might take twenty minutes, or it might end in a "program not responding" in the force quit window, but it might be worth a try if you have work at stake. I have about a 50:50 success rate with the "walk away and come back later" tactic.

On two different occasions, frequent crashes were the result of a flaky RAM chip, which I was able to find with MemTest, as I mentioned recently to Andrew S. on this list. The system reporting a Kernel Panic sometimes when I was in Finder was a clue, too.

Christopher