On Aug 24, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Robert Florence wrote:

Could someone give me a step by step midi set up?
I am using Mac Finale 2007. I am using an acient Yamaha DX7. It has always worked fine. I don't care about playback. I can enter notes rhythmically but they won't change pitches.

Bob,

Sorry I can't help, but MIDI is way too finicky to troubleshoot long distance. Whenever I have MIDI problems, I follow my nose pretty much. Are you sure all your cables are good, and your software drivers for your interface are up to date?

Basically, you have to determine if MIDI is getting out of the keyboard, then is it getting to the end of the first cable, then is it getting into the interface, then is it getting to the computer, etc... Restarting equipment (turn off, wait 30 seconds, turn on) is standard practice, as their hairy little electronic brains get scrambled easily.

I suggest getting a knowledgeable friend over. I feel your pain.

Christopher