One point worth pondering, and that comes up the minute we step away from Bach, is that for composers with a historical consciousness one must also consider a third issue: not just what was written and what was available, but what would the composer have endorsed, and when?

Consider Berlioz and the ophicleide. He wrote for it--no question. It was available, and used not only for premieres but for many subsequent performances--again, without question. Yet it is also beyond question that he later endorsed the use of the tuba preferentially for all these parts, without the slightest change in the written music.

So: do we play the _Symphonie Fantastique_ w. ophicleides or tubas? The answer imo is neither easy nor obvious.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/