At 10:45 PM 9/29/2007, David W. Fenton wrote:
>Having looked at the score, I would say that I think the score is
>wrong (it's bowed as 2+3 quite regularly -- I can only hear the
>triplet as upbeat of 3, not as downbeat of 3).

Okay, well, I know this is a silly argument, since clearly Tchaikowsky had a good idea of what he was doing. And I did say earlier that the melody all by itself could be heard the way you describe. But look at the accompaniment in the clarinets at the beginning. Or better yet, the horns after the first repeat. Hearing the melody as 3+2 | 2+3 requires a quite willful shift in how that accompanying figure is perceived.

Aaron.