On Oct 29, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Richard said it was a scale gliss, and also that his client wanted a verbal description. I think his client is being a bit of an idiot -- if you want to be extra-clear, the way to go is to put in the first seven notes of the gliss as grace notes, and not all harpists can read chord symbol indications. But sometimes, you have to let the client be an idiot.

While I agree --if in less direct language!-- that it's a fairly worthless requirement to add the verbal description (client's choice), I may not have been clear that a pedal diagram accompanies each pedal change, so no symbol-reading ability is called for. Had writing out all 7 notes for each one been required, I would have slit my throat. This is a hymnal project, with over 600 titles spread over 4 arrangers.