what I would try is this.........

make a copy of the file and open it
run the Data Check utility - all options under file maintenace checked
resave the file and then try the reduction procedures

if it fails again I would then.......

remove all optimization and staff styles that might be present
check all systems to see if any have been forced to a next page and undo that
option where needed if so
using mass mover respace notes through the entire piece
make sure update layout is set to remove previous layout and reflow across
pages and systems
update the layout & save the file
try the reduction process again

if it fails again I would redefine all pages, setting the page size to 8.5x11
run update layout again
save the file
try the reduction procedures again

failing all this I dunno what I'd do except write this list, too!

hoping this helps-
Cecil Rigby
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Liberty, SC