Mark D Lew wrote:
On Nov 21, 2007, at 5:57 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

Barry Manilow (over)uses the previous tonic to become the new leading tone when he modulates up a semitone, which is widely considered to be tasteless these days.

Really? That's tasteless? It seems perfectly fine to me. Rather ordinary, true, but what's wrong with ordinary? Is good old II-V-I tasteless now, too?

Mark, I, too, would question the "tasteless" aspect of that modulation method.

"widely considered to be tasteless these days" by whom? The rap crowd, the symphonic crowd, the country-as-the-new-broadway-pop-sound crowd, who?

Ordinary is good -- that's what makes the extraordinary so, well, extra-ordinary. If the extraordinary becomes the ordinary, then the old tonic-as-leading-tone-to-the-next-semitone-higher will become new again!

In my book, if it works the way you want it to work and accomplishes the result you want to accomplish, who cares if some people think it's tasteless? The same epithet has been hurled at many various composers for centuries.

--
David H. Bailey