actually, it turns out that with tgtools and autohotkey you can get close.
for example, the following autohotkey script will slur 3 note groups in the
selection region when you press shift+3 (oh.. oh so this is not via simple
entry, but it's still via the keyboard):

+3::
Send, {ALTDOWN}gul{ALTUP}
Send, {TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{ENTER} {TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}3{ENTER}
return

unforunately this doesn't work across barlines, and can't extend slurs note
by note but this suggests that a plugin could be written to give finale
sibelius-like slur/crecendo functionality

the other part of the problem is that one still can't properly control the
selection region via keyboard.  a script like this will at least select the
tool and also get something selcted when you press the selection tool:

!\::
MouseClick, left,  190,  746
Send, {ESC}{ESC}{APPSKEY}a{APPSKEY}c{ALTDOWN}eo{ALTUP}
Send,
m{CTRLDOWN}v{CTRLUP}{TAB}{SPACE}{ALTDOWN}e{ALTUP}{CTRLDOWN}v{CTRLUP}{TAB}{SPACE}{TAB}{TAB}1{ENTER}
return

but depends on your window size, lol.  but anyway, once you have a region
selected, the keyboard commands are insufficent to alter the selection
region properly, at least one of the boundaries created by mouse selection
is always retained--if only arrow left and arrow right would actually  move
the selection region...