At 10:21 AM 11/27/2007, Martin Banner wrote:
>In 4/4 time, in a piano part, I want to have two 1/2 note tremolos
>(beats 1 and 2, between g and d, and beats 3 and 4, between c and a).
>How do I create two eighth notes tied, but without the blackened in
>notes, so they each last two beats each? Would I be better off visually
>if I do two 32nd notes tied together (three beams) without filling in
>the noteheads. I did this many years ago, but can't for the life of me
>remember how to do this.

The short answer: TGTools!

The longer answer: Enter your g and d as 32nd notes, beamed together. Using the tuplet tool, define these two notes as a tuplet which takes up 1 16th in the space of 1 half. Use the note shape tool (in Special Tools) to change the noteheads to half-note noteheads (slot 250). Select the beam extension tool (in Special Tools) and double-click the handle on your g or d; specify that you want to extend the 16th and 32nd beams (but not 8th). Move the handles to shorten the inner beams while leaving the outer beam connected. (Or leave all three beams connected, as you prefer.)

Aaron.