On 28.11.2007 John Howell wrote:
OK, then obviously I don't understand the problem.  Are you talking about
Classic itself, or about a generic OS 9.2?  When I was upgraded from my older
G4 (with Classic and OS 10.3.9) last spring to my present MacBook Pro with OS
10.4.10, I was told that it would not run the older system.  And in fact when
my complete hard drive was copied to the new computer the Classic applications
were there, but they would not run.

The MacBook (Pro) is a new design, based on an Intel processor, which is unable to run OS 9 or Classic. On an older machine, like the Beige Mac, the processor was a PPC chip which can run OS 9 and Classic. My IBook, although still using the old PPC chip, cannot run OS 9 directly (Apple simply disabled this capability), but it is still able to run Classic (from inside OS X).

MacOS X 10.4 still has classic for those machines based on a PPC chip. However, Classic will not run on an Intel chip at all.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de