On Jan 7, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Michael Cook wrote:

The repitch tool on the Simple palette is a useful time saver. I just discovered that it doesn't take grace notes into account. Is this a bug, or just bad design?

I'm transcribing a long passage which consists entirely of staccato eighth notes, each eighth note being preceded by an acciacatura. I thought that this would be an efficient way to do it:

- Write one measure full of eighth notes preceded by grace notes.
- Copy it the required number of times.
- Run through the passage with the repitch tool.

This doesn't work since only the pitches of the eighth notes get changed, not the pitches of the grace notes. Does anybody have another idea for a fast way to trancribe such a passage?

It's probably bad design, but I'm biased. 8-)

In Speedy, hold the MIDI key down for the pitch you want, and hit Enter (on the numeric keypad on a Mac, might be Return on a PC). The note under the Speedy cursor will change to the pitch(es) you are holding, and it works on grace notes. Use the right arrow to navigate to the next note.

Unfortunately, this method is not intelligent enough to skip rests or change tied notes both at once, and in fact you will lose ties, so you have to hit = after changing the pitch to restore any ties before you move on. It also needs a MIDI keyboard. You will also find this method at least twice as keystroke-intensive as the Simple repitch, so you will have to balance out the trouble involved...

Christopher