Thanks to all responders.

I meant to say Save as Audio File - which is what I was doing - making an audio file of a Finale score. The most useful bit of info was that it takes an inordinately long time for the file to actually be "built" by Finale, and the spinning "beach ball of death" is actually the spinning "beach ball of go have lunch" (as suggested by Christopher). After lunch, the file was complete, Finale was again available (and I guess it had never been really frozen), and the resulting file was playable through iTunes. All is well.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace