Colleagues: I've tracked down the information I promised to find about a good book on U.S. copyright, but now I can't remember which of the dozen lists I monitor the discussion was on! So I'm copying this information to a number of those lists, with apologies for duplicate postings.

The book I highly recommended was "Copyright: The Complete Guide for Music Educators" by Jay Althouse, ISBN-10:073900753x, ISBN-13:978-739007532. According to Customer Service at Alfred Publishing, that book is permanently out of print, but you might find in in a good public or university library.

The book they currently have available is "Music Copyright Basics" by Joel Leach, Item 00-20814, UPC 038081205595, ISBN 10:0739030930, ISBN 13:9780739036. Price $5.95. I do not know this book, but here is the blurb?

"What is copyright? This seemingly simple question often causes confusion with its complex answers. In Music Copyright Basics, professor and Expert Copyright Witness Joel Leach answers frequent questions in a straightforward, easy-to-use format. Whether you are searching for a simple answer to a common question or want a general knowledge of the copyright procedure, this book will quickly provide you with the information you want!"

For what it's worth.

John

--
John R. Howell