On Jan 23, 2008, at 6:13 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I suppose men of good character can disagree, and I do. I have no hesitation at all using Cb as the root of the bVI chord in Eb minor, and I don't believe it causes any problems.

As as for the sharps, what else is going to indicate a proper resolution from VIIdim7/III to IIIm7 in the key of Dmajor other than E#dim7 to F#m7? I mean, the dominant chord - C#7 - would be spelled with an E#, so it only makes sense that the VII chord would be E#.

I think this is one of the dumbing-down aspects of jazz theory that we can dispense with now in our more-enlightened times. We spell b13 correctly now on dominant chords (instead of the #5 that was ubiquitous 25 years ago)

Hi Christopher,

Seems to me those chords are #5 chords and not b13s. Is there a natural 5th in them? I hear them as augmented chords, so #5 is in line with my hearing. What is it that you hear differently?

Chuck

and I am working on the #9 (should be b10) but I can't do it alone.

Christopher