On Feb 19, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Adam Golding wrote:

  On the other hand, maybe i'm just so
addicted to keyboard shortcuts that I can't realize that using the mouse *could* be fast too? I have the same issues with removing articulations.

Not to dissuade you from keyboard shortcuts, but the speed of working with a mouse is highly hardware and software ballistics dependent. It can be quite fast, and it is visually intuitive. (There is no "translation" in your brain to understand that the keyboard shortcut is moving this thing to that place; you just visualize it and see it on the screen. I don't mean to imply that this is the only way to work but, for some, it may be quick because it is visually concrete.)

A quality mouse ( I use a Logitech wireless super-duper-laser- something-or-other) and good software that makes the ballistics both fast and finely controllable go a long way to making this kind of work go smoothly. (I have Patterson Beams programmed on a mouse button: drag-enclose, or click-select, click, done - a one handed operation.)

Some people find good trackballs a solution for getting across big screen areas. I used to use a terrific Kensington one and made the mistake of thinking that later versions were improvements when, in fact, they weren't. The older steel roller bearings were far superior to later teflon bearings, and I could never get the speed of response or great feel of the original pre-USB/pre-optical one. Everything about the older one suited me fine, but it became outdated, and I made the mistake of doing away with it (and the associated dongle that allowed it to communicate through a USB port).

As I have said before here: I am an upgrade whore. Sometimes that works out; sometimes not.

Anyway, the point is Keyboard shortcuts can be a help. I use them myself. But they don't always do everything in the most intuitive or fastest way for everyone.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836