On Feb 20, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Hi Matt,

Good luck with this.

RE: video size, what you actually need to do is to zoom in on the areas of interest so that people can see what you are doing. I looked at your Drum Hits video and it wasn't really possible to see what was going on on the actual staves. Plus, about 90% of your video screen real estate was completely wasted (empty space below the two staves in Scroll View). When you make these videos, you need to zoom way in so only the relevant parts of the screen are visible. You may need to move the camera along with the cursor in some cases.

For audio quality, for internet video, you probably only really need a Snowball USB Mic. But what you *really* need is a script. You can't just record the audio and video off-the-cuff -- you need to plan out the most efficient way to convey the information you are trying to convey. Making good instructional videos is difficult and you can't just wing it.

Matt,

There is good material here, and I appreciate the work that has gone into it. But, this is a recording - not a conversation, and the verbal tics become annoying and distracting. On any kind of professional level (and if you are selling this, as I think you would like to, and probably should), you need a script that allows you to avoid the verbal fillers that interfere with the content of the spoken information. So, I am in agreement with Darcy about this and about the size and framing of the video information.

Good luck,

Chuck

Check out the CommonCraft video series ("Explanations in Plain English") on YouTube -- they are a terrific model:

http://www.youtube.com/user/leelefever

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----