On Mar 8, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Ray Horton wrote:

Yes, Sousa was right:
"These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. When I was a boy...in front of every house in the summer evenings, you would find young people together singing the songs of the day or old songs. Today you hear these infernal machines going night and day. We will not have a vocal cord left. The vocal cord will be eliminated by a process of evolution, as was the tail of man when he came from the ape."

Man, this is my week for Sousa quotes!

I came across this one earlier in the week and thought it was fantastic imagery for great music (and great art in general):

"A good march is as free of padding as a marble statue."

Man, I loved that quote!

Christopher