I too have been watching the discussion of beaming with interest. As a player, I have always preferred to have the eigths in 3/4 beamed together. Just me. From a historical note, I revisited my facsimile of the autograph of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. In the first movement he frequently flags the first 8th and them beams the remaing 3. I assume for phrasing purposes. In the autograph of the first movement he also sometimes writes a dotted quarter with a slash to indicate the 3 eighths. In the C major section of the third movement (basses gone wild; 3/4) he consistently notates quarter note, 8th rest, three beamed 8ths. This, seems to me, also is for phrasing.

I suggest no firm solution here, I just thought some of the list might be interested. I certainly have been quite interested in the discussion and find merit in several of the points made, pro and contra.

Bruce Clausen

----- Original Message ----- From: "dc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>; <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] beaming in 3/4 - 2nd try

Thanks to all. Yes, I should have given the context, of course. This is a section of a Lully motet. The source I'm transcribing has all groups of (last) three or four 8ths beamed. Personally, as a performer myself, I think this is perfectly clear. But I'm interested in knowing what the standard rules are.

Dennis