On 09.04.2008 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have a huge reel-to-reel collection, and the dire predictions about the shortness of the half-life of the medium are greatly exaggerated. The first tapes I made in 1957 are still in perfect condition; and keeping them this way is not the mission impossible it's sometimes made out to be.

It is my understanding that only a certain type of tape was affected by the problems. I definitely have a lot of exactly these reels. My fathers reel tape collection, which he made in the seventies is almost entirely affected by the problem. In this case there is nothing really valueable that needs saving. The good thing is that we own a direct drive reel tape machine (the large Technics machine) which can cope with two and four-track tapes. However, we haven't used it in a long time, so it may need overhaul, two.

Johannes