On 9 May 2008, at 6:33 PM, Brian Williams wrote:

Thanks, John and Darcy, for telling me about TGTools > Modify > Transfer >
Layout. That worked like a charm.

However, I have some more issues that have come up when dealing with linked parts in Finale 2008a. The document in question was created from the Jazz
Font template that shipped with Finale 2008.

1) Measure numbers: What is the easiest way to display measure numbers
differently in the score than in linked parts? Usually, I like the score to
only show measure numbers below certain staves, and I want them large,
enclosed in a square, centered horizontally, and 1/2" or so below the staves they show on. On parts, I want the measure numbers to be small (9pt), and positioned just below the barlines of the bottom staff of every part. How
can I do this using linked parts?

There is no easy solution, as measure numbers in the score and parts cannot be unlinked.

Your best bet is to set up two regions: one set to all views, the other set to "Scroll and Studio View Only (Will Not Print)." Configure one region for score and one for parts. Switch the options as necessary when printing score vs. printing parts.

2) Multimeasure rests: When I edit the width of an individual multimeasure rest in a linked part, it doesn't stick after I leave the part. In fact, all multimeasure rests revert to the default width set in the Document Options - Multimeasure Rests window whenever you go to view that part. How can I have different multimeasure rest widths in the same document with linked parts?

Document Options -> Multimeasure Rests -> uncheck "Update Automatically".

3) Staff optimization: How can I make staff optimization work in a linked part? The bottom staff of the Master Rhythm part needs to be optimized out on several systems, and I've made sure that "Allow Optimization" is checked in the Staff Attributes dialog for that staff, and that "Optimize Normally" is selected in the Group Attributes db. Yet when I try to optimize the part,
nothing happens! What am I missing?

There is normally not a problem optimizing staves out of linked parts. I suspect the staves you are trying to optimize have entries in them, or staff styles (like slash notation) that prevent optimization.

But it's probably easier to just handle the optimization manually for these systems, with TGTools Staff List Manager.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]