Personally, I absolutely hate the 8va and 8vb markings (I still see the 8vb quite a bit in piano music). I prefer to space out the score / staves and write it in it's true octave, as my eye's ear hears the pitches in the octave where they're supposed to be, not an octave above it with an 8vb marking on it.

From: "Paul Hayden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 1:23 PM
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Subject: [Finale] Ottava bassa

I quit using the ottava bassa sign (8vb) _under_ notes several years ago when I read (in Read's book and probably on this list) that the normal octave sign (8va) should be used. I noticed that FinMac08b uses 8vb by default when you use the Smart Shapes octave symbol (8va) below notes. (I reset the 8vb symbol so that 8va shows in the Smart Shape Options window.)

1. Do you think 8vb under notes looks amateurish?

2. Do you normally use 8va and its dashed bracket line in Smart Shapes, or do you do it all manually with an Expression "8va" and then the dashed bracket tool in Smart Shapes?

Paul Hayden

Magnolia Music Press
6319 Riverbend Blvd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70820