Sibelius 5 works the same as 4 with regard to instrument brackets; you can place thin "sub-brackets" within any bracketed instrument sets. Braces will collide with brackets so should not be used together. Fine if thats the setup you need but if you need more flexibility or nested braces, Sibelius is not a good choice. This is especially true if you are trying to recreate historical editions that have other bracketing schemes.

That having been said, there are also things that Finale cannot do. Working on some piano reductions for a client who insisted on Finale, I needed to be able to reassign voices (or layers) on a note by note basis so that rhythms that were not identical could be correctly notated in a single staff. My Finale (o5) would not allow that (it was a simple, straightforward task in Sibelius). Discussions with MM tech support and "the Toms" at a convention confirmed that Finale would only allow voice reassignments on a complete bar but not a single note. I had to re-enter several bars from scratch to get the desired result. I am not aware if later Finale versions have corrected this, but, since I expect to upgrade this year, I'll find out.

The fact is that both programs have things they do well and others that are awkward or not directly possible. We should be grateful for two very through choices.

Richard Smith
http://www.rgsmithmusic.com

Robert Patterson wrote:
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:31 AM, dhbailey