That "Arbitrary bit" has been a strange piece for a long time--all the areas in and around time sigs and key sigs are sort of a "No Man's Land" and have been for a long time. I think they set out to try and correct this when selection was redone and discovered that it was far more than trivial to fix.

I know it's nothing personal. Yesterday was just a bad day in the life of your friendly, neighborhood, MM employee. ;-)