The Garritan set included in Finale is not "Jazz" per se, is it? None of the orchestral trombone voices covers any of the trigger range, I don't believe, and 99.999% of orchestra trombonists play with F attachments most of the time. Lots of second trombone parts in orchestral scores go into that register.

I agree with you that most jazz trombone SOLOISTS don't use a trigger trombone. James Morrison is a notable exception. See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L14anXqrGQ
Ron Wilkins is another.

Jazz SECTION players often use an F attachment. It isn't uncommon at all to see a 3rd trombonist in a big band playing something like a Bach 36 with an F attachment. It seems to me the main point of including multiple trombones in the software collection is to build a section with some timbral diversity. The samples need to be able to cover the playing range that comes up in the real world. It seems really silly and pointless to cut the range artificially.

Darcy James Argue wrote:
Hi Craig,

The range is realistic -- jazz tenor trombone players almost never have an F attachment. I am sure the players they sampled for the JABB trombones did not have an F attachment on their horn.

The full JABB set has a proper bass trombone in addition to the four tenor trombones.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]