John Howell wrote:
At 2:59 PM -0400 8/18/08, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 17 Aug 2008 at 21:27, John Howell wrote:

 The sideline pits use just
 about anything describable as a percussion instrument, including
 timpani, chimes, and all the mallet percussion plus a variety of
 cymbals and toys as needed.

I'm not certain if you're talking about DCI here or not, but if so,
you're wrong to relegate the cymbals to the pit. Every corps I've
seen for the last 20 years use  3-4 cymbal players (in various sizes;
the cymbals, not the players) that *march*, and provide some of the
flashiest visual effects of anyone on the field other than the flag
corps. It's possible that there may be some suspended cymbals used in
the pit in addition to the on-field cymbals, but the real action is
on the field, in constant motion.

Yes, I was specifically thinking about suspended cymbals, and even specialty cymbals like Ping, Pong, and Pang. Thanks for catching that.

[I think the pit is a really bogus concept, honestly -- if they
aren't marching, they shouldn't be playing, in my opinion!]

Agreed. I find it puzzling. But then I find "bugles" with 3 valves puzzling, too!

John

Maybe that's why the name is "Drum Corps International" and not "Drum and Bugle Corps International" anymore -- all it is in reality is simply a brass band pitched in G, where all the instruments are of the horn family and none from the trombone/trumpet family.

--
David H. Bailey