Is 2005 pre-selection tool?  If not, choose the selection tool and see if
you can select one of the slurs.  If you can, you should be able to delete
it.  Also, if you double-click on one of the slurs (in the selection tool)
you should be automatically taken back to the tool of origin, which may help
you sort out what's going on with your file.

Sounds like you may have a corrupted file, though, so I'm not sure this will
help.  Best of luck.

Don Hart