Hey David --

Auto-hyphenation (and for ending syllables, auto-word extensions) take care of this in Finale versions since yours, although I know some have been bitten by a bug in the past where auto-hyphens would be missing from time to time (though I do a lot of choral music, and haven't had a problem). It's seemed (as far as I can tell) to work fine for me in FinMac2004, 2007, and nowadays 2008.

Others may be able to speak to whether the bug has been fixed or not. I haven't seen anything on here about it in a while.

I also know that many don't use the default settings that Finale provides for auto-hyphens, but they seem to work for me just fine as is. I've never changed the defaults.

-- Mike