Hi everyone, thanks for your quick responses.  I should have said "as much
of the RUBATO as possible", vibrato isn't a huge concern here.  I do realize
that total accuracy is impossible, and that an arbitrary decision has to be
made about how many 'significant digits' to use in a score (i.e. whether to
round to the nearest 8th, the nearest 8th note triplet, etc.).

However, it seems to me that many rock scores ignore what are actually very
'phonemic' differences, to take an analogy from linguistics (explained
below)--to give you an idea where I'm coming from, in addition to wanting to
transcribe/study/analyze/perform popular music, I'm a composer who grew up
writing into metronomic sequencers long before i started playing an
instrument, and found rubato confusing and 'out of time' for years until I
had actually been a pianist for a several years.  Recently I've been writing
more at the piano rather than on paper/screen, which has slown me down a
LOT, but writing on paper seems almost useless to me because the 'changes'
in pitch and tempo that I'm making while I work on the piece are often
subtle enough that they wouldn't show up in most notations.

Furthermore, these differences seem to actually be phonemic to me in that
they can make the difference in whether what was played was the 'right'
note, so to speak.  When I hear a singer sing a particular Beatles song
without a particular bend in a certain place, to me that can often be
equivalent to changing a note in the melody, that is, it sounds like wrong
note.  Similarly, while I was working on a song this week, I was trying all
the possible notes to end a certain phrase on, and had eliminated all but
two options, which included eliminating G.  Suddenly however, I hit upon
singing G with a 'scoop' and it seemed to function entirely differently in
the piece--the scoop was about a whole-tone, and the hidden presence of the
F there helped carify the harmonic function in the way I wanted.  Now if I
were to notate this and hand it to a singer, I'd want to make sure that
scoop was there.  However I wouldn't want them to immitate every detail of a
vocal demo I'd give them, because I'm not the best vocalist in the world,
and many of those little details wouldn't be intentional or essential, and
I'd be open to hearing different ornamentations there.   So, I need the
ability to insist on certain details in certain places, but to leave the
notation lax in other areas where it's not as important.

I'll check out the examples mentioned so far, please keep up the great
reccomendations :-)