>-----Original Message-----
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>On Behalf Of Stig Christensen
>Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 9:28 AM
>To: Finale List
>Subject: [Finale] [OT] The correct notes in diminished chords
>
>Hello,
>
> From time to time a find my self wondering about how to spell
>a diminished chord from e.g. D#.
>Is it D# - F# - A - C ?
>
>What are the rules? Are there any?

Spelled in isolation it would be by stacking minor thirds as you have done.

Diminished seventh chords as incomplete dominant ninths can resolve normally
to any of three tonics. How the diminished seventh is spelled depends on
what the resolution is. Your D#-F#-A-C as a B major ninth without the B
resolves to E major or E minor. Spelled Eb-F#-A-C it goes to G major or
minor.

(Before accepting my response please wait a bit until those here more
knowledgeable than I can weigh in.)

Richard Yates