The modern texts I consulted are not in complete agreement. Both Ross
and Stone say that you should use a double-whole in meters 4/2 and
larger. I agree with them, and that is what I practice. You can see it
for yourself in engravings of std. rep. pieces such as the Brahms
Requiem.

Gardner Read (whose advice in "Music Notation" I usually find to be
less useful than that of Ross or Stone) acknowledges the practice of
using the double-whole in 4/2, but he claims this practice has been
displaced by using a whole rest everywhere for empty bars (larger than
1/8 time). He then compensates for this (imo bad) advice by specifying
that the whole rest may *only* be used for empty measures.

In all three cases, the issue is that in 4/2 and larger times there is
a need for the whole rest to serve as a partial-bar rest (aligned in
time). There must be a clear way do distinguish between an empty bar
rest and a whole rest. I would argue that by extrapolation one should
use a double-whole rest in empty bars of meters 4/1 or larger. (At 8/1
we'd be in a pickle, but I have never written in 8/1 in any context.)

As for centering double wholes, I don't know a great way. A
not-so-painful workaround would be to turn off "Display Whole Rests in
Empty Bars" (using a staff style if need be) in the 4/2 passage. Then
apply the double-whole rest as an expression in the empty bars. You
should be able to design one that autopositions correctly.

If there is a better way than this, I'd like to know it too.