To be more specific, you have to click to the RIGHT of the time signature, on the staff for staff reduction and between the staves for system reduction. Complain about this, as the documentation doesn't even mention it, either.

BTW, even if you didn't know this, you could still change system sizes in the Page Layout tool, last item in the menu, Resize Staff System (system reduction). This is what I did until somebody on this list clued me in (was it Robert? Thanks!)

Christopher