>On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 5:51 AM, dc <den...@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> All of Minkoff's facsimiles have a very restrictive
>copyright notice.
>> Not only do they state the facsimile can't be copied, but
>also that it
>> can't be transcribed, even partially. I'd be curious to know
>how much
>> of this is bluff...
>>

>I can tell you Dennis, that the staff at the New York Public
>Library are insanely anal retentive about copyright laws. For
>example, in  the music reading room at the Performing Arts
>Branch at Lincoln Center, if want something copied, you are
>required to fill out forms, then the staff then looks
>everything over with a fine-tooth comb, and if they agree, the
>approving person will stamp and sign the document which you
>THEN take to a copying room and give to another staff person
>who does the actual photocopying for you.
>
>The librarian I spoke with was very clear about this point in
>regards to the Saur Verlag reproductions, and told me I could
>photocopy them, scan them into a USB card, ANYTHING I wanted
>because U.S. law doesn't honor the ability to copyright such
>reproductions. She allowed me to copy a symphony manuscript
>reproduction that was in the Garland series because of this
>precise point.

I think that they are absolutely corrrect. The Minkoff notice on a facsimile
edition that I have says:

"WARNING: This publication is protected by Swiss law on copyright. Any
reporduction or transcription - even partial - by any means, is an
infringement punishable according to articles 42 ff of said law."

It could be that Swiss law is this protective, so I will just transcribe the
work all I want and stay out of Switzerland!