The menu setting has applied only to Metatools since it existed, that is to say since Finale 2000. In earlier versions, there were separate tools for "Score Expressions" and "Staff Expressions", which were combined into one tool in Finale 2000: "Score Expressions" became measure-attached expressions and "Staff Expressions" became note- attached ones.

Michael