Speaking of bassoons, I went to a symphony concert this weekend, wherein was performed Beethoven 5. Included in the instrumentation was a Contra Bassoon, which was used only (as best I could see) in the last movement, doubling the Third Bone part. I don't have a score to the work, so can anyone tell me if that is a standard instrumentation, or an edition of which I've not heard before, or perhaps the conductor just wanted the bass sound reinforced?

Thanks in advance,

Dean