Christopher Smith:

Yup, we see it as making us wait 300 years to play with the big boys, THEN we STILL have to wait until the last freakin' movement when our chops are nice and stiff from lack of use, THEN he makes the first trombone enter (first entrance in HISTORY, not just this symphony!) cold on a high C (almost guaranteed to chip it and embarrass the entire brotherhood as a result) AND later in the movement he makes him play a high F (this is test!) just to see if he was paying attention. To my knowledge, there is no higher note written in the standard repertoire until late in the 20th century. Talk about your opening night nerves!

OK, where to start? Trombones had been "playing with the big boys" since at least the sixteenth century. Just not in a *symphony.* The first trombone part in this symphony (as in most others through the end of the 19th century) was an *alto* trombone, for which the high C is no big deal at all, and the top F was the conventional and long-standing top note.

Although in the 9th, the voice of God is represented by the men in the chorus, plus the bass trombone. We trombonists see that as typical typecasting. 8-)

Yes it is. Trombones had a regular presence in operas, oratorios and the like for some 200 years before Beethoven, and there they were almost always used to represent the underworld and the infernal. Famous examples include Monteverdi's _Orfeo_, Mozart's _Don Giovanni_, and his _Requiem_. The symbolic use of trombones in this way is still to be seen today in, e.g., the Requiem of Ligeti. Beethoven's use of trombones in the 9th, as well as the voices, was a deliberate borrowing of conventions that his audience would have regarded as religious.