Christopher Smith wrote:

On Jan 23, 2009, at 12:10 AM, Ray Horton wrote:

Regarding the falset notes, which you call "Privileged frequencies ... unstable ..." and imply that "A very high level of expertise" is needed for them: I teach them to junior high students, so when they purchase a trombone with a valve they are already used to the range below the staff. Yes, anyone can force any note on any brass instrument, pretty much, but these falset notes are more than that - they a specific partial on their own, which, particularly on small bore trombones. can center in quite well with practice, and are not in the least bit difficult.

Yes, I can concur. Even on my bass trombone, I can produce a tone from Eb to B WITHOUT the valve almost equal in quality to the tone I get WITH the valve. Certainly a Mozart fortissimo will make it, but not Wagner.

(I don't do it, though, except as an exercise! It's possible and not too difficult, that's all. I would say the Beethoven 5th high C and high F are much riskier.)

Christopher

It's always possible, but I do my best to avoid it.

Then again, you never know when you're going to get a call to play 2nd trombone in a big band, bring a small bore tenor, and discover there was a booking error and you're playing 4th(bass) bone. It's a skill that must be learned.

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#
http://members.cox.net/dershem