I realised that I have already experienced this problem and that I in fact know the solution! It happens when I try to use Finale in a non- administrator account. The solution: log in as administrator and change the permissions of the Finale application folder (and everything inside it) to read and write for everybody. Finale 2009b now works fine and I have even restored the preferences file that I had put in the trash.

So in this case it's not a corrupt file: it's the Finale installer that has set the permissions incorrectly for use by a non- administrator account.

Thanks to all,

Michael