As Finale users, our hope is that musicians can read and understand what we want them to play and get it right the first time. With that in mind, I avoid dotted rests. Not because they aren't allowed, but because I think they make players "look twice." If I can make my notation more clear I try to do it.

Larry Eden

 Dotted half rests aren't allowed in common time or 4/4 in any
 circumstance in my opinion. Rests should never hide the 3rd beat or
 the middle of a bar. (So, no half rests in 3/4.)

 This seems like an unnecessarily strict rule, and one that is not
 followed in an awful lot of printed music.

And I think that an awful lot of printed music looks awful precisely because of the poor use of rests. A lot of it has to do with the "fill with rests at end of measure" feature in Finale. And, although I don't know for sure, I would guess that Sibelius has a similar feature.

 But it all depends on context for me more than it does any set of
 "rules" about what's allowed or not in a particular meter.

I'm all for context, but I would like to gently point you to some "rules" regarding what's incorrect and correct practice for notating rests.

Gardner Read: page 99
Essential Dictionary of Music Notation (Alfred): page 198
Ross: page 180
Stone: page 134
Powell: page 23