In versions starting with either 2007 or 2008, you can transfer the license right from the application.

On Mar 13, 2009, at 3:03 PM, dhbailey wrote:

Lawrence David Eden wrote:
When I tried to install an old version of Finale on a school Mac (2K4c) MakeMusic declined my attempt because I had the software installed on too many computers. What I was trying to do was upgrade the school's hard drive with a newer model. Finale had been authorized on the old hard drive. Did I fail to copy over the original authorization? What did I omit? How does the software know "where" the authorized hard drive is located?

When you install Finale on a computer, it gathers information internally such as the hard-drive brand and size and other specifications, the CPU model and speed, how much RAM you have installed and other info, quite possibly including specs from the video card. From that data, it constructs a number which is unique to your computer and sends that number to MakeMusic which generates an answering code and the two are stored on your computer -- they have to bear a certain relationship to each other or Finale thinks it's been installed on a different machine.

Noel was right that usually all you have to do is contact MakeMusic and explain what you're doing and they'll re-allow one of the installations and you should be all set to get it activated again.

You can't really copy the authorization from one machine to another (or even one hard drive to another) because they're very hardware specific and won't work on different hardware.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com

Allen Fisher