If you enter the notes in another layer, like 4, and use rhythmic notation applied to layer 4 (you would have to duplicate, then edit an existing style), then you can mute the playback of layer 4 only on that staff in the Instrument List window. Click the triangle beside the instrument name to open up the options, and mute Layer 4.

If you find that to be too much of a burden, then just mute Layer 1 for that staff, but switch all the normal notation to Layer 2 for that staff and leave the Layer 1 slashes where they are.

Christopher

On Apr 9, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Mark McCarron wrote:

thanks for the response

I'm using rhythmic notation not slash notation. Notes need to be entered,just not heard.

Mark McCarron

--- On Tue, 4/7/09, Christopher Smith <christopher.sm...@videotron.ca> wrote:

From: Christopher Smith <christopher.sm...@videotron.ca>
Subject: Re: [Finale] muting staves
To: finale@shsu.edu
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 12:21 PM
On 7-Apr-09, at 7-Apr-09  11:06 AM, Mark McCarron wrote:

fin 2009 G5 10.4.11

I have a sop sax part with rhythmic slashes. I would
like to mute the notes that the slashes are attached to. I
can reduce the velocity to zero but human play back will
reset the velocities. I've tried an expression and midi
tool to reduce the volume (cc 7) to zero but when I bring it
up again it messes with the Garritan Jazz Sample. I get all
breath noise.

Any ideas>

The way slashes are done most easily in Finale is to enter
rests (so they won't play back) and enter the staff
style Slash Notation on the passage. Select the passage with
the Staff Tool and hit S (metatool for slash notation) or
control click or right click to select the staff style you
want.

Chord symbols attach to rests as they do to notes. Make
sure you enter half rests or quarter rests, as whole rests
will cause your chord symbols to be aligned with the centre
of the measure instead of the beginning.

Christopher