On 20 May 2009 at 13:07, João Pais wrote:

> Finale
> is the only program I know that only allows you to save in the latest
> version (or am I not updated)?

This is very common for database programs, and Finale is built around
a database engine, and I've always assumed that explained the issue.

Microsoft had enough resources to devote to Access back c. 1999 that
they made it support multiple file formats (to different degrees),
though the usable multi-version support was really about subversions
of a single file format (the Jet 4 file format, which comes in 2000,
2002, 2003 and 2007 formats; 2007 opens all the earlier versions).

But MakeMusic apparently doesn't have those kinds of resources. While
it would be convenient, I would say that for my work, it's hardly an
issue. While I've had the occasional conversion issue, there has
never been anything terribly serious in the result that wasn't a
reflection of flaws in the version being converted from (such as
measure-attached slurs when they got converted to the version that
supported the new slurs, whatever they are called).