>> At 12:39 AM -0400 5/31/09, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>> >The old dot vs. stroke controversy c. 1800 has always struck me as an
>> >interesting example of engravers having to make decisions on which
>> >engraving tool to use when copying from a manuscript in which the
>> >staccatto marks could vary from a dot to a hasty dot that almost
>> >looks like a stroke, to strokes that are so small they look like
>> >dots, to regular strokes, and all the way to hasty strokes that are
>> >very large and sometimes lean and look like our modern tenuto marks.
>>
>> An excellent example, David.  (And a potential doctoral dissertation
>> for someone, if I'm not mistaken!)
>
> It's already been done:
>
> Robert D. Riggs. "Articulation in Mozart's and Beethoven's Sonatas
> for Violin and Piano." Ph.D. Diss., Harvard, 1987.

I know those symbols are a nightmare for me in Graupner, Telemann, and
Fasch's manuscripts. I try my best to put into my file what I see in
the original manuscript and make a note of it in the critical report.
I know these markings continued into the classical period, which I'm
finding in Wanhal / Cannabich / Ordonez manuscripts now.

Thanks

Kim