Bruce Clausen wrote:
John: I'm in the middle of transcribing a far amount of early music (Machaut through A. Gabrieli) for horn choir (four parts). I'd like a better understanding of the music itself but am at a loss to find any in-depth analysis of any particular piece. If I had my druthers I'd really like to take apart some of the music of Josquin. Do you have any recommendations for a book or article that examines any of this music according to its own rules of counterpoint, Renaissance theory, etc.?

You'd get more results if you ask this question on another list in which I know John participates:

ns