Actually Sibelius could always place bar numbers under the bottom staff
but, until version 5, it required a two step process the second step of
which was a somewhat obscure adjustment that was easily missed. This was
all changed in Sibelius 5. Bar number adjustments are now very easy and
very flexible.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com